Resources and information
(Please let us know of other resources and research that you think we should include.)
- Suicide and depression resources
- Therapists (local)
- Good books
- Good movies
- Good websites
- Affirming and welcoming Religions
- Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- At-risk behaviors can increase 8-fold when parents reject their children due to sexual orientation.
- A study funded by the NIMH documents LGBTQ youth's attitudes and demographics in Indianapolis (IYG), Boston, and Philadelphia. The Indianapolis site report is here.
- The Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN) surveys LGBTQ youth every two years concerning the climate of their high schools among other research.
- Last year the CDC for the first time used the Youth Risk Behavior Survey to discover the increase in risk behaviors for LGBQ students in states and cities where a question asking the youth's sexual orientation was included.
- Non-heterosexual youth suffer disproportionate educational and criminal-justice punishments that are not explained by greater engagement in illegal or transgressive behaviors.
- Homelessness for LGBTQ youth is difficult to measure, but this seems to be a good article.